More than 75% of the cases presenting in the late stage of the disease renders poor prospect for survival and cure instead of having preventable vaccine available, best screening tests available for early detection but due to lack of information and guidance to women.
- Only vaccine-preventable cancer
- Cancer caused by human papillomavirus (HPV). HPV affecting an estimated 50-80% of sexually active women at least once in their lifetime.
- Women are mostly infected with HPV in their teen 20’s (or) early 30’s
- 82.5% of invasive cervical cancer are attributed to HPV16 and 18.
That’s why prevention with vaccination start as early as 9-12 years old girl for better protection. And vaccination often 70% protection against cervical cancer.
Cervical cancer is both a preventable and curable disease.
Preventable by vaccination
Early detection by screening with PAP SMEAR.
Since its taken many years to develop from detectable precancerous lesion and it is treatable, especially it identify at an early stage with screening
Cervical cancer screening in India:
Most of the cervical cancer screening currently undertaken in the country is mostly opportunistic screening for women who are approaching gynecologist for other health reasons.
Only 2.6% of all women aged 18-69years are screened every 3 years in India compared to 80-90% in the western world.
This may be due to
- Lack of awareness of risk factors
- Low priority is given to screening
- It has a long preclinical stage during which if we detect early with screening it can be successfully treated
- Adoption of PAP SMEAR TEST in the cervical cancer screening programs of the western world resulted in decreased incidence of invasive cervical cancer and cancer deaths.
Why LBC is best:
Several new technologies like liquid-based cytology (LPC) bring down the false negative rate and improve the quality of PAP smear tests results to a larger extent.
With high speed of test result to reduce the patient anxiety
It is possible to test for HPV the causative organism for cancer cervix in this method is necessary.